phoenixlove56, barbie8100, Jalie, PortNumber53, Daphne
660 Registered Users

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626 - 03/15/11 08:09 PM Hello from a hearing person just learning ASL
3anqaa2 Offline
Loc: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi everyone!

The name's Reema and I'm an international student from Dubai, UAE and I study Psychology in Boston, MA. Out of curiosity, I decided to take an elective class on ASL1 and I'm so happy to be learning a lot about Deaf culture and the very experience of deafness that I used to have stereotypes about (and I won't be surprised if I still do!). I would love to learn more ASL and maybe even master it if I can. It would be cool if I could learn Arabic sign language too but I'm not sure where to find the resources for that especially for my Gulf dialect...

Anyway, I've decided as among the many ways I want to make the most out of what I'm learning from this class is to interact more with members of the Deaf community whether online or in real time and whether in US or abroad. I thought that joining this forum can give me a better idea about the views of members of the Deaf community on certain issues. And of course, I would love to befriend you or anyone who's also enthusiastic about learning any sign language and Deaf culture in different parts of the world!

Pleased to be here,
Reema

Moderator:  Matthew